KnitSpeak

A blog specifically set up to record Knitters' abbreviations, acronyms and commonly used terms. Please feel free to comment or suggest additions, etc. Also includes a list of general net speak.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Definition of a Knitchick?


This blog has been created lightheartedly and the definitions in the lists are meant to be appreciated as interesting in terms of semantics without becoming overbearingly pedantic or political but, mainly, this blog has been created with the intention of saving for posterity some of the wonderful knitting terminology that is now evolving.

With this in mind, I'd like to ask knitters to consider the following question. What is the definition of a Knitchick? Chicks once referred to females and then only young females. Is this still the case and, if so, does this mean that any female knitter not in the first flush of youth is a Knithen (Knit Hen) or, worse still, a Knitboiler?!! :-) And how does one refer to men who knit, young or old? Could it be that Knitchick refers to any member of the new generation (or new age) of knitting rather than the age of the knitters themselves and could Knitchicks indeed also include males? After all, chicks (as in the young of hens) can be male or female, can't they? So, what is the definition of a Knitchick? Has anyone ever seen the term defined?

The list I've compiled is only a start and was put together from a quick trawl of the internet to see what terms came up. I then added a couple that weren't included on the lists I found. I've not yet defined some terms on the list, such as Knitflicks and eXtreme Knitting as well as Knitchick discussed above. Does Knitflicks involve a visit to the cinema or might it just be a group of knitters that have got together to watch a DVD, for instance, and how would you define eXtreme Knitting? All suggestions are welcome as are any comments or terms you think should be altered, deleted or added so please let me know if there's anything I've missed out or that you think ought to be changed.

Photos are also welcome. For example, is your stash so gi-normous that a photo of it could illustrate what is meant by SABLE? In order to encourage this photo sharing, I pledge a small prize to the best photo illustration of SABLE! And if you're not sure what SABLE stands for, check the previous post!

2 Comments:

  • At 3:34 AM, Blogger Daisy said…

    Hi Hazel, what a good idea for a blog! I'm afraid I don't have a stash large enough to count as SABLE yet, but I'm working on it!

    Have you found any guides to emoticons anywhere? I only know the basic ones, and would love to be able to do some more!

     
  • At 4:16 AM, Blogger KnitYoga said…

    Your wish is my command! :-) Funnily enough, I have a list of emoticons that I was going to add. These will be added within the next week.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home